It seems life is ever changing. This was my first week going from being a busy full-time working mom to working part time. I'm a few months away from being a full-time SAHM and I am so excited! With more time at home I get to do the things I love and spend time with my favorite people: my husband and my son. I have been baking like crazy this week and it feel great!
Two-Tone Banana Bread
(I got this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens: Holiday Baking magazine 2008)
Prep: 25 minutes
Cool: 10 minutes
Makes 16 servings
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted (I use unsalted)
1 tablespoon dark rum or milk
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350 (F). Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, lemon peel, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, mashed bananas, sugar, melted butter, and rum. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Transfer one-third of the batter (about 1 1/4 cups) to a medium bowl; fold in melted chocolate.
3. Drop alternanting spoonfuls of plain and chocolate batters into the prepared pan. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl through batters to marble.
4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
5. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
This bread makes your house smell wonderful! And the swirl effect that comes out when you slice it...